Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Please God - Tell me I don't have to Wear Pink!

Please God let it NOT be so, does being female mean I have to wear pink? Ok, so what's the big deal; it IS just a color -- why am I so terrified of a little color? I like the colors red and white… is the blending of the two so utterly terrifying?

When I was a baby I wore pink, even as a college student, I wore pink, and unfortunately I have the pictures to back this up. I can see it now, the celebration of being female I will wear pink with bows and lace, pretty soon I will be wearing a purse and start speaking in a quiet dainty voice about child rearing and bran muffins. And then will you find me standing proud with my Hand Made Quilted Pink Flowered Bible Cover in the church narthex talking only to woman and being submissive?

Will I loose my voice; will I have an opinion of my own, and what if I marry? Like so many of my single friends will I suffer dementia as soon as my husband slips the wedding band on my finger? Forgetting how to use a wrench or God forbid the VCR? I shudder at the possibilities…….

Who cares if society shuns pink in favor of the Blue Power Suit or Birkenstock Sandals? Does the color pink have the power I think it does to transform me into a quiet mousy thoughtless woman who does and says everything revolving around her man or her society? Maybe I'm over reacting after all its just a little color, a simple pale mixture of pure white and crimson red. I suppose in the end it is my choice, will I let my life be dictated by man or by God?

Well, guess I should hurry up and get going, I hear The Limited is having its annual Pretty in Pink Sale, I will need to get there early -- my closets have been neglected far too long....

© V S April 15, 2004